Though Red Alert 3 was initially announced in December 2004, that project was seemingly put on hold for some time. In February 2008, though, the project was announced again. EA has dedicated a team at its Los Angeles studios to developing the game, the third major installation in the Red Alert Universe of Command and Conquer.
The story for Red Alert 3 centers around the Soviets and the rise of Japan -- Empire of the Rising Sun. As the Soviet empire is about to fall, Soviet leaders decide to go back in time and kill Albert Einstein, since they believe he is responsible for their defeat. This means that there is no second world war, and no war between the Allies and the Soviets. Instead, there is a rise of a third world power, Japan. The war has not vanished -- it has only intensified.
- Multi-purposed units, each will secondary abilities.
- Return of naval combat, with both ships and naval bases. Many units are amphibious.
- A cooperative singleplayer campaign.
- New air forces and navies -- and some units that can swim and fly!
- Both computer generated effects and full motion videos to tell the story.